“Jesus Christ!” and a trail of cuss words followed.
I was seated in the lounge, watching the game, when I heard her screaming at the top of her lungs, remembering the One and Only. Now see here – she was in the kitchen, and the screaming could only mean despair.
But this could go from a broken nail to the pot roast acting up in the oven. I was surprised to see her right index finger oozing with blood after a conflict arose between the manual can opener and the jaggedy can!
We are a family of two that relies mainly on canned food because we’re too tired to hit the stove after a grueling 12-hour job. From vegetables, fruits, pasta, tuna, seafood, grains, and soup – especially soup – our pantry is stocked with canned foods of all kinds – you name it, we got it!
But we were wrong to get a manual can opener when our diet comprises mainly of canned foods. To open a can with a manual can opener takes a lot of strength, and if not force, then a lot of attention. Manual can openers usually come in contact with the canned food while opening, and can result in uneven, jagged can edge during cutting.
So, will an Electric Can Opener Help Us?
We decided to invest in the finest electric hand-held can opener because one, we are tired of getting bruised daily, and two, if not us, then who? But we took it upon us as a challenge to get the darndest hand-held electric can opener there is!
And believe us – all hell broke down when we started searching the appliance section at supermarkets as well as online e-commerce stores for the most excellent budget-friendly and purposeful hand-held electric can opener.
We left no stone unturned in bringing you a detailed review and our verdict of the top 10 hand-held electric can openers in town!
Top 10 Automatic, Battery-Operated, and Hand-Held Electric Can Openers
|Electric Can Opener||Type||Lever|
|Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome||Cord||Detachable||Check Price|
|Proctor Silex Power Can Opener||Cord||Detachable||Check Price|
|Kitchen Mama Electric Can||AA Battery||Fixed||Check Price|
|Balywood Electric Can Opener||AA Battery||Fixed||Check Price|
|Ankuwa Electric Can Opener||AA Battery||Fixed||Check Price|
|W-Dragon Electric Can Opener||AA Battery||Fixed||Check Price|
|Hamilton Compact Can Opener||Cord||Detachable||Check Price|
|OXO Good Grips Can Opener||Manual||Fixed||Check Price|
|Cuisinart SCO-60 Deluxe||Self Cutting||Detachable||Check Price|
|Hamilton Beach 76389R||Cord||Detachable||Check Price|
1. Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Heavyweight Electric Automatic Can Opener
When speaking of quality appliances, there’s practically none in the U.S market that comes close to that of Hamilton’s. Similarly, the Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Heavyweight Electric Automatic Can Opener is usually one of the top hand-held choices – and with us too! But, knowing about a company’s reputation isn’t enough. We had to get this sleek little number and test it out to further give our verdict.
It has an extra-tall design specially for cans that are far beyond the average height, thus allowing you to open a variety of sizes. It can thus, open cans that extend up to 10.24″ in height, 5.12″ in width, and 6.9″ in diameter.
It’s patented with SureCut technology that aims to cut through the lid seamlessly without any struggle – and that too in the first attempt! However, holding heavyweight cans without support might be a problem. The cutting lever comprises a magnet that can hold 8 and 15 oz. cans quickly, but for the 28+ oz. ones, you’d have to exercise your arms and maintain yourself.
It also includes an auto shut-off feature that enables you to reduce energy consumption while it is in action. Plus, with the auto shut-off feature, you can operate the Hamilton better as stand protected as it cuts through the lid of the cans smoothly.
One of our prime struggles while looking for the best electric handheld can opener was to find models that are dishwasher-friendly. Well, with the Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome model, we hit the jackpot! It contains a dishwasher-safe cutting unit that is removable and makes cleaning simple and thorough.
But, the Hamilton Can Opener doesn’t stop there! It was intended to make meal preparation more straightforward and more fun for culinary enthusiasts! Along with an automatic can opener, you get a knife sharpener that enables you to chop your vegetables (or kill the serial killer!) instantly!
- Sleek, chrome built with a stainless steel cutting lever
- Cuts through the lid of the cans without making any grinding noise!
- Inexpensive and quite economical in the price!
- Lightweight and takes minimal space in the kitchen
- Highly comfortable and exceptional quality to work with
- Ability to cut through large-sized (family or market size) and heavy-weight cans quite efficiently the very first time!
- Consists of a dishwasher removing unit for easy cleanup
- Includes an inbuilt knife sharpener
- Portable and ideal as a traveling companion
- Consists of a cord that can easily fit at the back of the can opener
- The blade of the cutting lever doesn’t come in contact with the food!
- Ideal for people with weak hands or joint deformities
- Unable to handle the weight of 28 oz sized cans
- Source: The NPD Group, Inc. 12 Months Ending November 2020
- Removable, dishwasher-safe cutting unit: Can opener has a removable,...
- Surecut patented technology: Kitchen can opener has patented surecut...
2. Proctor Silex Power Electric Automatic Can Opener with Knife Sharpener, Twist-off Easy-Clean Lever
Similar to the Hamilton Beach Classic, the Proctor Silex Electric Can Opener’s sleek, chrome built is fit for complimenting the kitchen of all designs and styles.
The Proctor Silex is designed with a magnetic cutting lever that minimizes engagement with food and hence, decreases the risks of cross-contamination.
The best part? The cutting lever is easily removable – all you need is to twist it for simple detachment and voila! You can clean the cutting lever in your dishwasher or manually till it’s back to its mint condition.
The cutting lever consists of a magnetic lid holder for holding onto the cans firmly and also without any hand-held exertion.
No matter the size or height of the can, the Proctor Silex Electric Can Opener consists of a sharp blade that can smoothly cut through the lid in a simple go. One simple rotation and the top of the can comes off in less than a couple of minutes!
The Proctor Silex is designed for giving an extra edge to tall commercial or family-sized cans so the next time you’re struggling with a can of tomatoes, you know where to go. It also consists of an auto shut-off feature that helps you to conserve energy when working smoothly like a charm!
Like the Hamilton Beach Classic, the Proctor Silex also comprises of a knife sharpener because hey – you never know when your knives quit on you. The model can also house the cord for safe-keeping and seamless automatic use in the kitchen.
Even if you’re at a friend’s place for a luncheon preparation, you can plug the cord in a nearby socket, and use it as it is!
- Lightweight and easy to carry – makes for a great travel companion
- Twist-off cutting lever for cutting through lids in one go
- Detachable and easily removable cutting lever makes cleaning and washing easy
- Magnetic lid holder holds unconventionally tall and heavy-weight cans carefully
- Easy to push-in cord Storage available
- Inexpensive and good value for money
- Recommended for people with arthritis
- The blade gets rusty quickly. You’d have to either buy a new model to replace the faulty one or shift to another brand
- Might shred the paper and fail to open the lid if the can isn’t held firmly in the lid holder
- The cutting lever makes a lot of noise, so if you want to prepare food in peace, the Proctor Silex might not be for you!
- EASY TO CLEAN: The washable cutting lever on the electric can opener...
- BUILT-IN KNIFE SHARPENER: Keep all your kitchen knives sharp without...
- CORD STORAGE: The cord neatly stores inside the base of the automatic...
3. Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener
With the ability to combat your daily, endless struggle with tuna, catnip, and dog food cans, consider yourself lucky enough to stumble upon Kitchen Mama!
They were right when they said that Mama knows all about you, especially about your rumbling stomach! Hence, Kitchen Mama’s a perfectionist when it comes to their inventory of the finest electric hand-held can openers.
Kitchen Mama doesn’t want to pay you by a fool when it comes to meal preparation and has introduced a line of can openers with built-in automatic and push-in button features.
Whether you want a mini can opener for portable use, a one-touch or hand-held automatic can opener for safe-keeping at home – Mama has it all!
Their assortment of automatic can openers corresponds to a subtle color combination such as that of white and blue or white and red.
Such a subtle palette doesn’t let the appliances stand out in the kitchen, and therefore, helps them match the room’s decorum. For instance, if you have a white marble countertop or red kitchen counter stools, Kitchen Mama’s automatic can openers will fit in just well.
Kitchen Mama’s automatic can opener requires 4 AA batteries to function, but they don’t come with most packages. Since you already have to stock your inventory with replacements for batteries, buying new ones is not a downer, anyway.
The automatic can opener works smoothly – literally! There is a button on the top of the automatic can opener that serves as a lever. To put the machine into action, you need to press the button once so that its blade can make a circle (360 degrees) across the cutting field.
There is no risk of cross-contamination of food as there is absolutely no way that the blade can make contact with the can’s contents while going through the cutting field.
Also, Kitchen Mama’s automatic can opener doesn’t precisely cut through the lid, but punctures and drills holes for safe removal. Puncturing holes across the field is seamless and gives smooth results without any jagged or sharp metal edges of the lid!
We loved Kitchen Mama because it just lets you watch while it gets the chore done for you! We recommend this automatic can opener for the elderly as it eliminates any gripping challenges that those with arthritis might have to entail.
Even though it is slightly more expensive than the other two discussed above, it doesn’t come with an automatic shut-off feature. You’d have to press the same button on the top for stopping and shutting its puncturing mechanism off.
- Kitchen Mama’s One-touch automatic can openers come in 4 AA batteries and also feature an automatic shut-off feature
- Kitchen Mama’s mini automatic can openers are also available and run on 2 AA batteries
- While the automatic can opener can easily fit into your cabinet once you’re done with it, the mini ones can hide in your purse!
- It comes with a 1-Year Warranty!
- It allows you to open your cans with a simple button making you rebelieve in the duo leading to happiness, that is, ‘Attach and Push’!
- Punctures holes with utmost precision, freeing you off any jagged edges that are often countered with blades cutting through
- You can store the mini can openers in your purse, making them ideal for portable use!
- Ideal for people with a limb or joint deformities such as arthritis, limb amputation, etc
- Highly convenient, hassle-free, and straightforward to use!
- Doesn’t come with a vast set of directions – press the button and you’re all set to go!
- High value for money
- Apart from the mini can openers, Kitchen Mama’s automatic can openers don’t have an automatic shut-off feature
- Not ideal for tall cans. For use on tall cans, you’d have to mount the can opener on a top shelf or cabinet
- Makes a loud noise when puncturing the can (Disclaimer: might scare your pets or wake your family up!
- The can opener uses the latest technology to open the lid by releasing...
- Effortlessly open cans with a touch of one button. Easy to use.Ideal...
- Strong power by: 4x batteries (not include). No need to charge.It is...
4. Balywood Electric Can Opener
Next up on our list is the portable and automatic Balywood electric can opener that’s designed primarily to minimize manual labor.
The Balywood Electric can opener runs on 2 AA batteries that are held within the battery container situated on the underside of its 6.6″ thick surface. With a push-button above and a blade with metal gear below, Balywood’s electric can opener is designed to provide high functionality, especially to weak or double-jointed people.
Balywood’s electric can opener, however, doesn’t consist of an automatic shut-off feature, making it vital for the user to reset the cutter by pushing the button. Plus, to fixate any sized can beneath the can opener, you’ll have to exert little energy so that the device can adhere automatically to it.
- While using the can opener, make sure you adjust the rim of the can between the cutter and its metal gear, that is, its driving wheel.
- Once the rim adheres to the groove, you can press and hold the button for a second so that the can opener begins its cutting process.
- When the can opener completes its circle, remember to press the top button once more for resetting the device and freeing the can once the motor comes to a halt.
- Remove the lid by merely lifting the can and voila – your food is at your disposal!
Notice how the can opener cuts along the side of the cans and limits cross-contamination with food.
Not only do you get to enjoy hygienic food, but also spare yourself from any jagged or sharp edges that you might encounter with can openers having top cutting techniques.
Plus, cutting along the side of the can has a benefit for future use! You can prepare the meal in the meantime and reseal the cans with their lids for future use as well!
- Ideal for the elderly with weak hand grip or arthritis
- Slide-to-open battery container for easy replacement of batteries
- The cutting blade and metal gear make for a dynamic side-cutting can duo
- The blade is made up of high-quality and durable stainless steel
- Consists of a magnet at the back of the device for pulling the lids of the cans firmly
- Cuts along the side of the can, allowing you to reseal it with the cover for frequent usage
- Might run out of batteries quickly
- If the can is removed while the cutting mechanism is still working, it might result in jagged or unopen edges
- Adjusting or removing the can with force might damage the metal cutting gear
- ♣ Power by 2×AA batteries (not included)
- ♣ This stylish kitchen gadget will self adhere to any can and...
- ♣ Cuts around the side of the can to eliminate sharp and dangerous...
5. Ankuwa Electric Can Opener
A restaurant-level, upgraded electric can opener that runs on batteries automatically? Consider us sold (we already were, though!).
The Ankuwa Electric can opener is the god of all automatic can openers. Imagine owning a restaurant or commercial level appliance at your home!
Reputed as ‘Every Chef’s Choice’, the Ankuwa portable electric can opener runs on 2 AA batteries that are recommended to be of high quality for prolonged use. The battery container, however, is lined with a plastic sheet for further stabilization and support to the battery set.
Similar to the Balywood Electric Can Opener, Ankuwa’s model also comprises a button for starting and stopping the motor. The automatic can opener also consists of a magnet on the back that lifts the lid of the can once the whirring machine does the labor!
The Ankuwa electric can opener works in the same way Kitchen Mama and Balywood does. Just bring a can out of its hiding and align its rim close to the cutting gear!
Since it consists of a magnet, it will do most of the dirty work itself and give you the result after going around the can at a 360-degree angle.
Plus, since the blade is fixed safely within its unit, there is absolutely no fear of cutting yourself with the can opener.
- Good value for money
- Ideal gift for your culinary-talented friend!
- Sturdy and uncomplicated to use
- Makes regular cleaning a breeze!
- Despite its popularity, there have been several complaints lodged against the company for sending broken pieces to trusted customers
- The can opener conks out after opening a maximum of 5 cans, which was preventable at first when we changed the batteries
- Will proceed to open the cans very slowly after a couple of performances
- You might cut your finger as the cutting gear leaves behind jagged edges once the magnet pulls and separates the lid of the can
- We have mixed opinions regarding its performance, primarily because it works amazingly when it does
6. W-Dragon Electric Can Opener
The W-Dragon Electric can opener is next on our list of easy-to-use and convenient automatic can openers. But the best part about the can openers we’ve reviewed so far is that they are designed especially for seniors or people with weak grips.
Similarly, the W-Dragon Electric Can Opener works like a charm in the kitchen, thanks to the power button on the top of its body. Plus, since it’s made up of stainless steel, you can clean its body with a piece of cloth.
Remember that the can opener also consists of a battery container on its underside. If you rinse the body with water, you might ruin your batteries or the entire container! There is a reason why the company, similar to other reputed ones, has made it possible for you to detach the cutting metal gear for easy rinsing.
The W-Dragon doesn’t include any automatic battery shut-off feature, sadly! But that doesn’t mean that you have to wait for it to stop from cutting. The same button that you use for starting the motor can be used for switching it off. But make sure you don’t switch it off midway and leave your can open with jagged, uneven edges.
Plus, since it cuts the can from along its sides, it doesn’t come in contact with food and ensures top-notch quality along with safety and hygiene.
Trust us, the Balywood, Ankuwa and W-Dragon electric can openers are so similar in size and shape that at times, we think of playing catch with them at home. But as compared to the other two, I’d still go for the W-Dragon as the cutting is smoother and evener.
- Ideal due to portability
- Can be stored inside a drawer or cabinet
- Cuts along the side of the cans, allowing you to reseal the lid for storage and future use
- The can opener is made of stainless steel, making it durable, sturdy, and heat-resistant
- Sleek and shiny metal finish
- The battery container consists of plaster dividers for enhanced heat resistance and better performance
- Incredible value for money
- Batteries aren’t drained easily
- Not suitable for cans with bulky seams
- The rim of the can might get stuck if not appropriately placed underneath the opener
7. Hamilton Beach Compact Can Opener
The Hamilton Beach Compact can opener redefines the true meaning of craft – especially in the kitchen. For people who are switching from a manual or rotary type can opener to an electric one, we highly suggest getting the Hamilton Beach Compact and Cordless can opener!
Unlike the Classic can opener, it consists of a detachable charger and thus, doesn’t house the cord that charges it. But that doesn’t mean you can’t place it in your kitchen drawer next to this small piece of marvelous machinery and use it whenever you want to. You can also run the can opener while it’s plugged in if you prefer saving the batteries for portable use.
The Hamilton Beach can opener is made of stainless steel and comprises a removable lever mechanism that separates easily from the body for easy cleanup.
The Hamilton Beach Compact can opener works like a charm on tall cans, such as those that are at least 4 inches tall. But with short cans below the average size of 2″, you might have to hold the can opener so that it cuts through the rim easily. You can also place the short-sized can on top of another can for support while the blade goes around it.
But operating the can opener wasn’t easy at the start. Sure, it’s easy, but the blade of the lever tends to hit the rim of the can directly instead of engaging with the sides of the lid. As the lever mechanism is removable, we did what anyone would do to make maximum use of their hard-earned and carefully spent money!
We removed the blade and ground it till it was easier for the lever to bypass the rim and engage with the lid of the can! It fixed so smoothly that we think we can now go into the business of making electric can openers ourselves!
It consists of an automatic shut-off feature so that it can switch off its motor and reset itself for another can-cutting process! The Hamilton Beach Compact Electric can opener also consists of a detachable charger
- Smooth, ergonomic design
- Compact and portable
- Sturdy as it’s made of stainless steel
- Detachable lever mechanism & dishwasher-friendly
- The can opener is cordless and comes with a removable charger
- Ideal for heavy-weight and tall-sized cans
- Cuts along the side of the cans instead of puncturing the middle
- No space to store the charger and its cord within the electric can opener
- Might have to level the angle of the blade for seamless cutting of the cans
- Slight difficulty while operating it for small-sized cans
- CORDLESS & RECHARGEABLE: Once charged, you can take the Hamilton Beach...
- HANDS-FREE OPERATION: The rechargeable can opener opens cans...
- EASY TO CLEAN: The action lever with cutting blade assembly on the...
8. Oxo Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener
Not all manual can openers lack basic functionality to perform a simple task as cutting through the lid of the can.
For people who aren’t comfortable with using a hand-held electric can opener, we come with a bonus! We opened around ten cans – large and small-sized both – with the Oxo Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener and found this exceptionally high for rainy days!
Suppose your kitchen doesn’t have a power outlet to charge an automatic can opener, or a power outbreak when you cannot charge it in the first place. Are you going to go hungry? We don’t think so!
Keeping a manual can opener in the drawer will also work wonders for the time when your hand-held device lacks batteries, and you’re too tired (read: lazy) to go to the store to get a brand new pair.
The Oxo Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener has easy-to-grip, soft handles that give an edge to the classic can opener. It consists of a knob on its side that is soft and easy to rotate for cutting the lid of the can. All you need to do is grip the handles with one hand and turn the knob with the other after fixing the can opener on the can.
The cutting lever made up of stainless steel, cuts along the side of the can instead of puncturing it through the middle. Its oversized side-cutting mechanism eliminates complete contact with food, therefore, preserving their quality and overruling contamination.
Plus, it also consists of built-in pliers that don’t engage with the contents of the can during removal of the lid. Secondly, cutting along the side also preserves the top as it doesn’t produce any jagged or sharp edges, thus, allowing you to reseal the can and use it again!
Since the cutting mechanism isn’t detachable, it is recommended that you wash the Oxo Good Grips Can Opener manually instead of dumping it in the dishwasher. But, as the lever doesn’t come in contact with the food, we don’t think it would be greasy and thus, would rinse off nicely.
- Non-slip and soft-grip handles make it easy for people with weak joints to hold the can opener with ease
- Soft-grip and easy-to-rotate knob on the side that allows the can opener to cut around the hands of the can
- It comes with a guarantee that will enable you to request a replacement while your can opener undergoes prompt repairs at Oxo
- The cutting lever doesn’t come in contact with the contents of the can!
- The side-wind cutting mechanism allows you to reseal the can with the lid after cutting around the rim
- No sharp or jagged edges
- Durable – might give you the same quality for 5 to 10 years
- Excellent quality and value for money
- Sturdy cutting lever made up of stainless steel
- Doesn’t consist of a detachable cutting lever
- Hand-wash only
- Opening small-sized cans might be an issue, but then again, it depends on the curvature of the rim of the can
- Easily opens cans without creating sharp edges on can or lid
- Oversized side-wind mechanism moves smoothly
- Soft-grip knob and non-slip handles
9. Cuisinart SCO-60 Deluxe Stainless Steel Can Opener
It’s impossible to review the best hand-held electric can openers without mentioning the highly efficient and convenient-to-use Cuisinart SCO-60 Stainless Steel Can Opener on the list.
Its sturdy and elegant model is made up of stainless steel, making it highly durable and reliable for prolonged use. Plus, its sleek design adds to the contours of your kitchen without creating clutter or a mess of your countertop.
It has a wide, sturdy base, which makes it ideal for tall or heavy cans as the can opener can cut through them without tipping them over. Usually, you’d have to hold onto the cans in fear of them sliding over during the cutting process.
But, wide-based can openers like the Cuisinart SCO-60 make things easier or in other words, stable. Your can rests next to the can opener’s base as your hands lie completely free of doing the chore yourself. The model is ideal for people who plan on freeing themselves of all the ‘dirty work’ during food preparation.
Plus, it has a wide base that can fasten and hold onto heavy-sized or tall cans without any external help. Thanks to its auto shut-off feature, you have to press the cutting lever only once and wait till the power-cutting blade completes its operation.
It also has a magnetic lid holder that latches onto the lids and removes them with a jolt when you pull it towards yourself. Its Power Cut Blade is fierce – it cuts through the side of the cans assuring that no jagged edges hurt your fingers in the process.
Its lever is easily removable, giving you enough room to rinse it in the dishwasher without affecting the blades.
- Its wide base allows the machine to hold onto the can without tipping it over
- Highly portable and compact – ideal for taking it on vacations!
- Easy to clean due to its detachable cutting lever
- Construction is of stainless steel and hence, adds to your kitchen’s aesthetics
- A cutting blade is also of stainless steel, and hence, provides good quality
- Cutting blades can be replaced once ineffective or faulty
- It comes with a 3-year warranty!
- Slightly expensive than the rest
- FUNCTIONAL: Cuisinart quality-engineered motor system makes it easy to...
- STURDY: Base prevents any sliding or tipping
- EASY CLEAN UP: Removable activation lever for easy cleaning
10. Hamilton Beach 76389R OpenStation Can Opener
Why stop at an ordinary hand-held can opener when you can get a multifunctional device for the same price? We reviewed a couple of models by Hamilton Beach above and honestly, we recommend them mainly because of their dual-function tools.
But – the Hamilton Beach 79389R OpenStation practically left our mouths hanging due to its assortment of handy tools for daily use.
Apart from struggling with cans, what else do we find ourselves dreading before going into the kitchen? I don’t know about you, but I know I tend to detest opening the lids of freshly bought jars as well! Talk about having a quiet date night or wild party at home! Opening the bottles of those annoying bottles of champagne and beer requires a skill set that I don’t have.
Trust us – we are reviewing the Hamilton Beach 76389R OpenStation Can Opener only because it comes with a host of tools helpful for entertaining guests at home. Otherwise, the other 9 were perfect in slicing the lids of the cans along their sides.
Let’s talk about the tool that should be our main concern here. With the help of its SureCut technology for cutting cans, the hamilton Beach 76389R ensures to open your cans in the first attempt!
The sleek, chrome-plated model’s second tool, the OpenMate Multi-Tool, is a pretty solid and elaborate one, to be honest. It’s specially designed to open difficult-to-open objects including the metal caps of fragile glass bottles and tight plastic packages.
The third tool aims to avenge your daily struggle with tight lids you can also open the lids of your soup cans and various jars – giving you no excuse to make that tasty pasta for dinner! Throw your old bottle-top opener out of the window because this model is everything you need for your kitchen.
Place the Hamilton Beach 76389R on your kitchen island or under the cabinet for easy use whenever. if you plan on washing the cutting lever after using it, simply remove it and place it in your dishwasher – and voila!
It consists of a sizable cord that allows you to work while it’s plugged into an outlet. Since the can opener houses its cord at its back, you don’t have to worry about leaving the wire out in the open or in the drawer.
- Multi-functional can opener!
- Consists of a jar opener as well as a bottle-cap opener!
- The cutting lever is detachable for easy rinsing
- The bottle-cap opener is size-adjustable, ideal for twist-offs!
- Ideal for short-sized cans
- Cuts through the sides of the cans without producing any sharp or jagged edges!
- Easy and convenient to store
- Perfect for seniors with weak hands or people with rheumatoid arthritis!
- Requires you to hold or mount your can opener for opening large-sized or tall cans
- Made up of plastic which is then plated with chrome
- Not too durable due to its plastic handle
- 3 tools in one all store together
- OpenMate multi-tool opens plastic packages, pop-top cans and removes...
- Jar opener has secure, nonslip grip and stores on top of the unit
How to Choose the Best Electric Hand-held Can Opener for your Usage: Buying Guide
Before you pick one off the shelves, it is necessary to decide whether you have fair use of an electric hand-held can opener or not. To help you make up your mind, let’s discuss how you can skim through the different types of can openers without any problem.
A. Traditional or Manual Can Openers
The traditional can opener comes in three different types, elaborated due to the requirements of your usage.
1. The Manual Can Opener
The manual can opener - ideal for home usage - doesn’t consist of a cutting wheel or a moving system. Instead, it has a cutter attached right onto the top of the handle, making it easier to operate and cut the can along the rim.
The manual can opener, however, might seem ideal, but to be honest, it can result in uneven and sharp can openings.
Just drag the cutter towards yourself in a downward motion or away from yourself after cutting through the can’s rim. You can find your desired usage in a P-38 model or perhaps in the traditional manual can opener that consists of a lever.
Cons of a Manual Can Opener:
- The thing about manual can openers is that they require a lot of energy, not to mention strength and a lot of time for making that perfect crease
- It comes in contact with your food, thus, contaminating it!
- They can get rusty too, and if this is a concern, you’d want to keep it away from your food
- They are lightweight and do the job – sure! But, they leave jagged, sharp, and uneven lid edges, making you work harder!
2. The Manual Can Opener (Rotary Type) with a Cutting Wheel
The manual can openers with cutting wheels that are paradoxical in their mechanism and comprise of two types. There is one that reduces the cans from the top, and therefore, comes in contact with the food, leading to cross-contamination!
The other can opener is a bit better in this aspect. It cuts open the can by cutting it from the side of the rim, hereby, avoiding any contact with the food. As compared to the ones we discussed previously, this manual can opener doesn’t cause jagged edges and is referred to as a ‘smooth edge’ or ‘safety’ can opener.
Cons of a Rotary Manual Can Opener
- The rotary manual can opener can also rust easily and contaminate your food, but we have a more significant concern
- Not all models are suitable for cleaning purposes, especially when the rotary type requires washing after every usage!
- Reduced shelf life as compared to the manual top cutters
- Not only are you exercising your hand, but also your endurance! Imagine if you’re at work and you have to open a hundred different cans – tolerable? We don’t think so!
- The rotary type is not advised for people who have weak hands or suffering from arthritis
Any joint or limb disorder can make working with manual can openers a struggle
3. The Manual Heavy Duty Countertop Can Openers
Entitled for light commercial use, the heavy-duty manual countertop can openers are ideal for cutting through tall cans, especially those that are 7 to 11 inches tall.
These can openers, however, require a sturdy surface for propping them up, which can occur once you screw them in tightly. Turn the handle so that the knife can engage with the lid of the can and cut it easily.
Cons of Using a Countertop Can Opener
- The manual countertop models are not only expensive but also difficult to maintain and clean.
- The countertop models also require a sturdy surface for mounting them before they can enter their working mode.
- They take up a lot of space, making them a solid no!
B. Electric Can Openers
The electric can openers are seriously god-send.
Why do you want to suffer from Carpal-tunnel Syndrome from using a manual can opener and exposing your wrist to constant agony?
The market is currently dealing in one, hand-held electric can openers that operate by consuming batteries, and two, freestanding electric can openers that require electricity to operate.
1. Freestanding Electric Can Opener
The modern electric can opener can either cut through the top or side of the can and at the same time, requires a cabinet or a sturdy surface such as a countertop for mounting itself.
The freestanding electric can opener is, however, multifunctional, and comprises a knife sharpener, bottle opener, and bag cutter in addition to its primary feature.
It comprises a magnet in its working mechanism that attaches itself to the lid of the can and removes it by spinning and holding it in place.
But all that shines isn’t gold!
Despite the magnet, the freestanding model requires electricity to operate at all times, making this a poor choice for travelers.
Plus, the magnet can become weak with time and not do its job as required. While this model is approved for tall and heavy-duty cans, freestanding electric can openers can tip over the surface of the weight of the container is intolerable.
2. Hand-held Electric Can Opener
A hand-held electric can opener is taking over the market, mainly due to its portability. Since its runs on batteries, all you need to do is push a button and wait for the battery-operated device to remove the lid of the can with sheer finesse.
3. Crownpunch Can Opener
The Crownpunch can opener is a dream - but since dreams are too good to be true, they are expensive and require high maintenance.
Get this - this heavy-duty can opener can slice through 200 cans in a day - no matter the shape, size, or weight of the container! The crown punch model consists of a lever which upon pressing, enables the circle-shaped blade to punch through the lid of the can - and voila!
They are highly durable, and warrant safe-keeping in a commercial kitchen, indubitably! All models are sturdy and can handle a good wash from the dishwasher as well!
You’d have to, however, change the blade corresponding to different can sizes which can cause a hindrance.
We wouldn’t recommend this for homeowners, though, as there’s no way in eternity that you’d have to slice through 200 cans in a day. Imagine wanting to cut through a couple of sliced cans for dinner and unable to find the right blade! Ironic, yes?
Not to mention its high price range and inconvenience for home dwellers!
Before we discuss the reasons why you should own the best hand-held electric opener in the market, we would like to shed some light on the factors that you need to consider before getting one in the first place.
1. The Necessities and Essentials
The Ability to Cut Through a Can:
What should the greatest electric hand-held can opener be able to do in the first place? Open the can, of course! But many can openers, especially the manual top cutters, fail to do so.
With a hand-held electric can opener, you should be at ease as these models are reputed for their smooth results.
Less Complicated in Design
What’s the use of a can opener when they’re so hard to set up? The high-end models require a sturdy surface such as a kitchen island for setting them up properly.
The hand-held electric can opener, on the other hand, doesn’t require you to do any struggle for operating it! Just charge its batteries and use the can opener for cutting through your cans before a barbeque!
High Shelf Life!
When looking for an appliance, we tend to aim for one that has a high shelf life along with a warranty that at least lasts for six months, if not a year. Plus, renowned sellers provide you with a 100% refund in case the product you purchased is faulty within the warranty period.
However, make sure that most sellers don’t provide you with a warranty period. It’s mainly because they’re resellers, or even if they’re primary merchants, their products don’t run into any faults.
Comfortable to operate
When buying hand-held electric can openers online, be sure to check the reviews and testimonials online. See, if you’re stuck with a portable device that feels flimsy and isn’t comfortable at all, then what good will it be?
If you’re also considering buying the freestanding electric can opener, be wary of the fact that it should be able to grip all sizes of cans without tipping over. With the portable ones, you don’t have to worry about tipping your cans or the device itself, though.
Made from Stainless Steel
Most manual can openers, especially top-cutters, rust easily, and contaminate the food when they dip into the can while slicing it through.
Hand-held can openers, including freestanding models, on the other hand, consist of blades that are made up of stainless steel and are rust-resistant. Stainless steel blades are not only sharp and cut smoothly, but also deliver the strength required to cut through the metal lids.
Overall stainless steel built will also improve the can opener’s shelf life, and make them more durable for more prolonged usage.
Don’t get us wrong, but we’re not supportive of plastic can openers, even though they’re highly flexible to use.
The aluminum built, on the other hand, similar to stainless steel can openers, adds to the durability of the device. It also minimizes contact with food as well as the energy required to cut through and open the lid of the can. Since it has a magnet attached, it aids in the effortless and seamless removal of the cover.
Since most households have a dishwasher today, it’s better to own a can opener that is dishwasher-friendly, and thus, easy to wash and maintain.
Cuts with Finesse!
Manual top-cutters leave jagged and sharp edges, making the cut cans a hazard. The rotary type and crown punch can openers as well as the electric models cut the cans smoothly, leaving no sharp, uneven, or jagged edges behind.
Usually, such models come with a ‘safety’, ‘smooth edge’, or ‘safe-cut’ disclaimer, so make sure to look out for those!
Versatile cutting wheel
See, the benefit of owning a side-cutting can opener is that you can cut through the lid’s outer lip and quickly lift it for removing it off the can. Also, it’s better to get a can opener that doesn’t engage in cross-contamination with the food.
Your can opener should be able to open all types of cans - not just pull-and-pop or rectangular spam ones, but also sardine cans as well.
Manual can openers are usually made up of non-skid or ergonomic handles so that you can grip them comfortably and proceed to cut through the lid of the can.
The electric ones, on the other hand, are easy and convenient to operate. They function with the help of a push-button and therefore, do the chore for you automatically.
Plus, the can openers with cushioned handles are convenient, safe, and efficient to use. They minimize the risk of injury and are also ideal for people with weak or painful joints.
2. Personal Requirements
The above features are ambiguous and might help you decide on the type of can opener as per your requirements. To determine whether your shortlisted electric can opener is ideal for your usage or not, consider the below.
Are you a southpaw struggling to handle the modern appliances of today? What good is a portable device if you can’t self-operate it in the first place?
Look for a can opener that is helpful for both right-handed and left-handed people in the family. An ambidextrous can opener will prevent you from investing in another model of the same kind.
If you’re left-handed and intend on using it yourself, then there are plenty left-handed can openers in the market to fulfill your quest as well.
Hand or Joint Injury
Children have hands that are soft and cannot grip a manual can opener. Similarly, most elderly are either suffering from arthritis or have weak hands.
If opening canned food is a regular - as with a pet - try buying an electrically or battery-operated can opener for avoiding strain on the wrist.
Plus, it’s completely alright if you don’t have stiff joints or the kind of muscles to cut through a can viciously! Look for your convenience and get yourself an automatic can opener to end the misery of the chore at once.
Travelling and Portability!
What use will a heavy-duty can opener be for a restaurant owner who is on vacation?
See, even if you don’t have usage for portable, manual, hand-held can openers at home, consider your traveling plans if you’re an avid camper or traveler and rely on canned foods (because who doesn’t?), invest in a hand-held can opener for taking it along on your trip!
Hand-held can openers are highly functional, lightweight, and small to travel with, and battery-operated giving you the liberty of using them in your tent without any electricity!
Electric hand-held can openers are in the market as for as low as $15! But hey, if you’re looking for one for commercial use, invest in a crown punch electric can opener.
While looking for a can opener, always consider choosing the one that’s convenient and efficient to use. For instance, a crown punch electric can opener might be suitable but not comfortable for the home.
Similarly, a hand-held electric can opener might be convenient for using at home, but highly inefficient for aiding you at work!
Consider preferring your usage over the price since electric can openers are durable, reliable, and efficient - no matter what the type and model.
Why stick to a traditional can opener when you can seal the deal with a multifunctional
Many people want an electric can opener that is not only multi-functional in giving results but easy on the eye as well! Plus, since you will place the can opener in the kitchen, you have to decide whether you want one hidden in the drawer or the open?
For instance, the freestanding electric can opener has models that require mounting under a cabinet or to a wall, or placement on the countertop, limiting your options. Plus, repairing the freestanding electric can opener is a drag.
Since it is expensive, you’d have to hire a maintenance specialist for checking its wires and servicing the motor accordingly. Plus, replacing one with a new model every time the device conks out is a bit heavy on the pocket.
We recommend using a hand-held can opener if aesthetics are a pivotal reason.
- They can hide deep in the drawer, and only to be brought out when needed.
- You can keep them away from the dust and clean them before using them.
- You don’t have to worry about color-coordinating them to your kitchen appliances!
- Just like the rest of your cutlery and crockery, your hand-held can opener can rest on your kitchen’s countertop without affecting your kitchen’s design.
Our Verdict - You Ask?
We recommend using the handheld electric can opener if you’re looking for one to use at home. You ask us, why? While we’ve already discussed why we thought of listing down the most prominent reasons as to why you need to keep a hand-held electric can opener handy in your kitchen!
1. High Utility and Less Energy!
We’d be kidding if we said you wouldn’t get a high level of utility with a hand-held electric can opener at your home.
First of all, we want to be able to do all the work by not doing any work at all, right? Electronic gadgets and appliances make sure to rid us of our daily exertion.
With the manual type, you’d already be drained from exerting pressure for cutting the can!
By choosing the hand-held electric can opener over the manual or rotary type, you’re giving yourself the liberty to focus on your food preparation! Instead of wasting energy by cutting through the can vigorously, you can now relax as a button on the hand-held does the job for you!
All you need to do is place your can in front of your one-size-fits-all hand-held electric can opener, lock it, and press the button or lever to make it work! The can opener will not only secure the can and hold it for you but will also enable you to turn it around and automatically cut it for you.
Therefore, a hand-held electric can opener can do the job for your faster and rapidly so that you can get out of the kitchen within the shortest time possible!
1. High Level of Portability!
The only reason why we’re in favor of the hand-held electric can opener - except for its battery-operated automation - is because you can keep it anywhere in your kitchen!
A - You can keep it on the countertop for handy usage or inside your drawers, hidden away with other utensils
B - It doesn’t consume much space because it is so small in size!
C - And the last part is that it is a great travel companion!
2. Safety and Durability!
The hand-held electric can opener relieves you of using your hands for cutting through the lids of the cans yourself as with the manual types. Since you’re not engaging your hands in doing a risky chore, you’re eliminating risks and injuries of all kinds.
Say no to emergency trips to the hospital and work with band-aids, and welcome a hand-held electric can opener into your home! We know we did.
3. Less Messy!
Cutting through the lids with manual cutters not only creates a huge hassle - especially if you’re not gifted in menial labor - but a mess as well!
With metal fragments lying around the kitchen countertop from uneven cutting, cleaning can become a drag as well. Plus, due to rough cutting, the jagged edges of cans can become a safety hazard and prevent smooth handling of the food.
A hand-held electric can opener alleviates any struggle, safety hazard, or indulgence of any mess! We have no idea about you, but we were (and are) sold!
Frequently Ask Question
We hope that our list of the best electric hand-held can openers helps you in throwing away your manual, traditional one for a multifunctional, aesthetic choice. From single-touch automatic can openers to hand-held ones that produce resealable lids by cutting around the sides of the can - they are life-and-time savers, indeed!