When you are cleaning your car, sometimes you will want that perfect finish. Those car enthusiasts will know that using a clay bar will be a great way to get that smooth and shiny finish that you’ve always wanted for your car.
But what type of lubricant should you use with a clay bar? If you don’t have the right kind of lubricant, then you may end up damaging your paint job or even scratching it. This is why we’re here today to help you out.
We’ll tell you exactly which lube is best for your clay bar.
We’ll be having an in-depth look at the different types of lubricant that you can use on your car, along with how you can apply it effectively.
Once you have read this article, you can see how you can better use these liquids to get the best sheen on your vehicle.
Table of Contents
What Is A Clay Bar?
A clay bar is a tool used by many people who love their cars. It’s basically a small piece of putty that has been soaked in some sort of liquid.
The idea behind using one is to remove all of the dirt from your vehicle. After you clean off the surface, you can rub it down with the clay bar.
This will allow you to buff away any remaining scratches or marks left over from sanding. This also allows you to give your vehicle a nice shine.
The clay bar itself is made up of two parts: the pad and the stick. The pad is where you place the clay onto your car. And the stick is the part that you hold onto while you work.
The clay bar comes in various sizes. Some are smaller than others. You can find them online as well as in stores like Home Depot.
What Is Clay Bar Lubricant?
Using a clay bar, you’ll want it to move as smoothly across the surface of your car as possible.
This is because the bottom of the clay bar comes with a serrated edge that will make it very hard to move across the surface if it is dry.
If you do not use a good quality lubricant, then this could cause damage to your paint job. So, before you start working on your vehicle, you need to make sure that you have the correct lubricant.
There are several kinds of lubricants available. They include silicone oil, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and more.
Each of these products works differently when applied to a clay bar.
Why Should I Use Lubricant For My Clay Bar?
A clay bar is made from a putty-like substance and this can often break up as you are applying pressure and leave clay on the surface of your car’s paintwork.
So if you want to avoid damaging your paintwork, you need to use a lubricating product.
These products are designed to keep the clay moving around the surface of your vehicle.
When you use a clay bar without lubrication, it can scratch the surface of your vehicle and create unwanted marks.
As such, using a lubricant is important.
Using Water With Clay Bar
You might think that water would be ideal for cleaning your vehicle. However, it won’t actually work.
Instead, you need to use something else.
Water doesn’t really work because it just makes the clay harder to work with.
When you try to wipe off the clay, it will be much more difficult and could leave some serious marks on your car.
It will also stain and leave smears on your paintwork. However, there is another way to clean your vehicle.
You can use soap and water instead. Simply mix equal amounts of warm water and dishwashing detergent together. Then, pour this into a bucket.
Now, dip the clay bar into the solution and let it soak for about five minutes.
Once you’re done soaking, simply rinse the clay bar under running tap water.
Where Can I Find Good Clay Bar Lubricants?
One of the best places to buy clay bar lubricants is at auto supply stores. These stores usually carry quite a few different types of clay bar lubricants.
They should be able to help you pick out the right kind of lubricant for your needs. If you don’t know what type of clay bar lubricant you need, then why not check out our list below?
This first clay luber comes with specially designed technology that will ensure that your clay bar moves smoothly across the surface of your car without leaving any marks.
The kit includes two bottles of synthetic lubricant. The first bottle contains an anti-static formula that will prevent static buildup in the air.
This means that the clay bar will move easily across the surface of your vehicle without causing any problems.
This will remove excess pollution from the surface of your car. It will protect against scratches and other marks while still allowing you to apply a high level of detail.
The second bottle contains a special formula that has been developed specifically for clay bars.
This formula will give you maximum protection against dirt and grime.
- Smooth usage – this will allow your clay bar to glide smoothly over the surface of your car, keeping it smooth and shiny. It will not leave any clay on the surface of your car.
- Protection – this will protect your car’s paintwork from being scratched or marred by the clay bar.
- Expensive – this is one of the most expensive clay bar lubricants available.
This next clay lubricant is great for both the outer body of your car, helping you to remove grit and dirt from the outside of your car windscreen.
This is actually listed as self-cleaning, which will really help when you are leaving your lubricant to dry.
It’s also good for removing stubborn stains and marks from your car’s interior and exterior.
This will repel all sorts of water and other substances that will leave marks and dirty your windscreen.
You should make sure that you apply this lube in a circular motion to make sure that you remove the most amount of dirt on your windscreen or the body of your car.
- Self-cleaning – this will make sure that all traces of the lubricant have disappeared once it dries. This makes it very useful when you are looking to remove the lube afterward.
- Great for cleaning the exterior of your car – this will clean away any dirt or grime from the outside of your vehicle.
- Great for cleaning the interior of your car – this can be used to remove any stains or marks from inside your car.
- Not suitable for use on the underside of your car – this is only suitable for the top of your car.
- Not recommended for use on painted surfaces – this is not recommended for use on painted cars.
- ADVANCED CERAMIC TECHNOLOGY COMBINED WITH USER-FRIENDLY...
- LONG LASTING CERAMIC PERFORMANCE - It remains on the most intensely...
- IMPROVES SAFETY - GYEON Q² View’s primary task is to increase the...
This next package contains all sorts of car wash lubricants that will help you keep your vehicle nice and shiny.
There are three different types of lube included in this pack;
1) A wax lube that will help to protect your car’s finish.
2) A clay lube that will help you to remove dirt and grime from your car’s surface.
3) A polish lube that will help your car look like new again after you’ve washed it.
The wax lube will help to protect your paintwork from damage caused by the sun. It will also help to stop dust particles from getting into your car’s engine bay.
The clay lube will help to remove dirt and grimes from the surface of your vehicle. It will also help you to get rid of any marks left behind by previous owners.
- Protects your car’s paintwork – this will help to protect your vehicle’s paintwork from fading or peeling.
- Helps to prevent dust particles from entering your car’s engine bay – this will help to reduce the number of dust particles that enter your car’s engine bay, reducing the risk of rust forming.
- Doesn’t help with scratches – this won’t help to repair scratches or marks on your vehicle’s paintwork.
- CARPRO Wash Box features five of our favorite products in one
- Start with the award winning CARPRO Reset utilizing the included mitt...
- Next dry it with ease using the incredible CARPRO DHydrate Towel
Hopefully, these reviews have helped you to decide what type of clay bar lubricant you want to buy.
If you’re still unsure about whether or not you need to use a clay bar lubricant, then we would recommend that you check the product reviews before you use this product.